Have you ever wanted to go back to a project and fix mistakes? Opportunities like that don’t come around very often but when one does grab it by the horns, so to speak.
But I’m getting ahead of myself; let’s travel back in time to January 2012.
Most of us at Bit Planet Games were working at Seamless Entertainment — a small indie developer — based out of Austin, TX. We had just released our take on the space shooter genre, SOL: Exodus, for Steam. It was met with a fair share of criticisms (many of which have been addressed in subsequent patches) and praises alike (respectable sites such as Destructoid and Escapist gave us high marks). Sales were ok (being in several bundles helped tremendously) but, ultimately, our small studio was shuttered by our parent company approximately 6 months later.
Our dream of continuing on with SOL: Episode 2 was shattered.
Fast forward to about 4 months ago.
It dawned on me that I really wanted to try and take SOL back and A) fix all the lingering issues with the Steam version, B) bring it to next-gen consoles, and C) reunite with the old team who believed in my vision for an accessible space shooter in the first place! So I set out do just that. I contacted the owners of the IP and they agreed that it was time SOL came back to its original stewards. Most of the old team has been reunited under the Bit Planet Games, LLC banner. And most importantly we are now deep in development of a much enhanced version of the game.
So what does enhanced actually mean? How does this sound…
- Brand new ship physics! Ships have real momentum now and can no longer turn on a dime. While it’s not true Newtonian physics, persay. It is our attempt at blending realism while staying true to the accessible nature of the game.
- Brand new flyable ship (complete with new cockpit and new abilities) fully integrated into the main campaign!
- Brand new missions integrated into the campaign. Many existing missions have also been completely overhauled.
- Completely revamped story with new VO recorded by our same great cast.
- Every environment is getting a fresh coat of paint.
- New 3D radar! We admit our old radar was craptastic.
- New ship subsystem controls! Players will be able to freely transfer energy from weapons to afterburners (and vice versa). They can also spend energy to slowly repair their ships hull integrity in mid-flight!
- And so, so much more (which we’ll reveal a little later).
Honestly, it’s almost an entirely new game!
We’re not quite ready to announce when you’ll get a chance to check out all of this shiny, new content but we will soon. We’re anxious to get this out there just as you are to climb back into a virtual cockpit and blow the Children of Dawn to kingdom come!
Bit Planet Games, LLC